At Pittsford Dental Excellence Center, some patients have more difficulty than others being comfortable at the dentist, for a variety of reasons.
Our aim is to help our patients have a safe and comfortable experience while also receiving phenomenal care. As a result, Pittsford Dental Excellence Center offers sedation dentistry performed by Dr. Sam Guarnieri who is a certified oral sedation dentist.
What is dentophobia
Dentophobia is the fear of the dentist. Many people find dental appointments unpleasant but there are few who will not visit the dentist because their fear is so great. The fear of the dentist may stem from a number of reasons, the first being negative experience. If at some stage you have had a bad encounter with a dentist or in a dental chair, this may fuel your phobia. The fear of pain may also be part of dentophobia, though dentistry is almost completely painless now, the fear of feeling pain while getting treated is a driving one. The fear of needles is also a large player, particularly if your tooth condition would require you to get an injection. The fear of the smells and sound, especially of the drill which is again linked to less positive interactions. Whether it be one or a combination of these factors, dentophobia needs to be addressed because avoiding the dentist will only result in negative effects.
What is sedation dentistry?
Types of sedation dentistry
There are a number of types of sedation dentistry available:
- Oral sedatives. This is taken either through the mouth or nose and makes the patient drowsy and relaxed during any dental procedure. It usually begins working within 20 minutes, so you will be asked to take it as soon as you arrive. This type of sedation requires that you have nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before the appointment.
- IV sedation. This requires that a needle be inserted into your vein on either the arm or hand. The benefit of IV sedation is that the doctor can administer more medicine during a longer procedure to keep your relaxed. There is some home preparation that is required for this type of sedation
- Laughing gas sedation. This is a combination of nitrous oxide and laughing gas which is then inhaled through a gas mask that is fit over your nose to help you relax
How does sedation dentistry work?
Our office uses sedatives that have been well documented for their safety and effectiveness. The sedation makes a person drowsy and unaware of the procedure that is being performed but is not powerful enough to cause total sleep. Once sedated, several dental procedures can be completed in a single visit. If you plan on sedation dentistry, be sure to have someone drive you to and from your dental appointment.
Am I a candidate for sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry can be an excellent solution for patients who suffer from dental anxiety. For these people, going to the dentist creates tremendous stress and anxiety that can become extreme or a borderline phobia. Many people even avoid going to the dentist because of their fears and anxiety. Do not let your fears hold you back from This having a healthy smile. Sedation dentistry will make your dental visits anxiety-free.
Sedation is also an option for patients with any of the following conditions:
- Jaw discomfort, or issues controlling muscles for prolonged periods of time
- Patients who have several lengthy procedures needed
- Difficulty reacting to local anaesthesia
- Strong gag reflex
Certain conditions may exclude someone from being a candidate for sleep dentistry.
These include the following:
- Allergy to sedatives
- Depression of the central nervous system
- Resistance or tolerance to certain medications
Our staff is happy to answer any questions you may have about sedation dentistry. Contact us at our Pittsford, NY office today at (585) 248-2575 to learn more, or schedule a consultation.
Pittsford Dental Excellence Center provides total oral health care to patients in Fairport, Pittsford, and Rochester, NY.